Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My husband.


{Disclaimer: Don't pay attention to the Spanish subtitles, it was the best version I could find.}

My sister played this song for me as we drove the two and half hours north of Atlanta toward the mountains. I fell in love and bought it on the spot from my iPhone and haven't stopped listening to it since. It causes such a visceral reaction in me, which is my favorite kind of song. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen in love with a song only to listen to it over and over again. Yes, I'm one of those people that can listen to a song on repeat for ages...I should make a playlist of all those songs sometime.

Leonard Cohen writes the best songs, doesn't he? I had never heard of Teddy Thompson, but now I'm convinced I will marry him. (Even though he's prolly already with other, so to speak.) In fact, I thought this would be a great wedding song, but then I read the lyrics. Ehhh, not so much, but still sounds so sweetly haunting. This is when you learn that I rarely know what people are singing in songs. I have to seriously concentrate in order to actually hear the lyrics and usually I'm just happy with the melody and my own thoughts. I hate to admit it, but it's true. I remember the night my sister discovered this and made me sit down and listen to the entire Fiona Apple album (Extraordinary Machine - this is obviously dating my anecdote.) with the liner notes in hand. Generally the songs I like most are ones that I can easily hear the words; I can't explain what makes them easy for me to hear, but that's when I know I'll love it. Otherwise, I'm just as happy singing along with my own made-up words. This is endlessly annoying to other people.

In other news, sorry for no posts yesterday. I tried both the night before and in the morning, but Blogger kept telling me that it was unavailable. I don't know if that is some sort of metaphor for my life, but I just ignored it and waited for it to change. Another metaphor.

Also, I ended up taking NOT ONE photo with my camera while I was home. I had a fabulous time, but must wait for my sister's photos to do a wrap-up post. That is, if I deem any of them post-worthy. No pressure, Em.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails