Friday, October 1, 2010

It Gets Better.



I don't find many political or social topics that I feel so strongly about that I need to talk about them here, but this is one of them.  I am heartbroken over Tyler Clementi.  I am heartbroken over the three other boys who have taken their lives in the past three weeks due to bullying.  Or homophobia.  Or fear.

I don't know what it's like to grow up and feel like I am automatically not accepted by my peers, the adults in my life, even my country for a reason I cannot control.  For being who I am.  I can't begin to understand the hardships one must face by being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. 

I can only hope that there is change in the air.  That this will be a world in which my children won't be persecuted for their sexuality; that my children will have the same rights as everyone else no matter who they love.  I hope that tragedies like Tyler Clementi will spark the change that is needed and I'd like to do my small part here by just saying it out loud.  Tolerance and acceptance are what make humanity thrive, and I vow to never belittle another human being because of who they are.

We are all more alike than not.  And we must remember that. 

Dan Savage started the It Gets Better Campaign with the video above.  You can follow this link to see hundreds of other videos of those who know better than I that it does, in fact, get better.  

3 comments:

Kristin W said...

Thanks for sharing...I completely agree. It is so so sad to hear these stories. One day it will be better.

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic, and important post, Laura. Thanks for sharing!!! Like you said, I can only hope that my children, no matter who they choose to love, are loved by their peers as well and treated as human beings.

Bridgid said...

PREACH! All you say is true, and this campaign is a beautiful beautiful thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails